Volcanic substrate consisting of a mixture of volcanic materials (pumices and lapilli), blond peat and/or organic substances with humus (like composted vegetable material) and complex fertilizers with Nitrogen in the form of controlled transfer.
In function of the kind of greening application (extensive or intensive) and the carrying capacity of the covering, it is possible to choose between:
– VULCAFLOR is a finished product, soft textured, free form toxic or dangerous substances and weed seeds.
– VULCAFLOR is a ideal substrate for the construction of green roofs, flower boxes and every type of realization in the green where a reduced intervention of maintenance is required.
– VULCAFLOR intensive forms a fertile root layer for the essences of green gardening.
– VULCAFLOR extensive is a ideal substrate for the construction of green roofs of the extensive type with reduced thickness, available load bearing capacity of the attic (100-200 kg/mq) and lawn with plant essences with reduced water and nutritional needs.
– VULCAFLOR LIGHT is a light substrate ideal for the pump in the construction of green roofs.
Urban street furniture
Greenery management and maintenance
Vulcaflor for hanging garden - Giax Tower, MILAN
Vulcaflor substrate - Portello Park, MILAN
Vulcaflor as substrate for hanging garden - CityLife SpA, MILAN
Intensive and Extensive V. 880-1,000 Kg/m³; V. Light 700-800 Kg/m³(at quarry humidity)
Weight of water saturated material
Particle size distribution
between 0 to 10 mm
higher than 0.6 mm/min. when saturated and compressed; more than 6 mm/min. in normal conditions (in compliance with ex DIN: > 0.4 and >1 mm/min.)
Water retention (available/usable water)
35%-45% by volume
6-7 (UNI EN 13037:2012)
3%-6% for Vulcaflor Intensive and Vulcaflor Light, 2%-4% for Vulcaflor Extensive
Cation Exchange Capacity (C.E.C.)
approx. 30 milliequivalents/100g for Vulcaflor Intensive and Light, approx. 15 milliequivalents/100g for Vulcaflor Extensive
Contains no active limestone and no Free Crystalline Silica (non-toxic product).
* Effective load capacity: Vulcaflor Intensive and Light
31-51 lbm/sq ft / V. Extensive 20.5-41 lbm/sq ft
** Specific weight: V. Intensive and V. Extensive 54.94-62.43 lb./ft³; V. Light 43.70-49.94 lb./ft³ (at quarry humidity)
Weight of water saturated material: 87.40 lb./ft³
Particle size distribution: 3/8” US Mesh
Permeability: higher than 30 US Mesh/min. when saturated and compressed; more than 1/4” US Mesh/min. in normal conditions (in compliance with ex DIN: >0.016 in. and >0.04 in./min.)
C.E.C.: approx. 30 milliequivalents/0.22 lb. for V. Intensive and Light, 15 milliequivalents/0.22 lb. for V. Extensive